For generations of moviegoers, Christopher Lee (1922-2015) was the embodiment of cinematic evil. From his early days as Hammer Films’ resident Count Dracula to more recent roles like the evil wizard Saruman from The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies – by way of the Star Wars prequels’ Count Dooku, The Wicker Man’s Lord Summerisle and James Bond’s triple-nippled nemesis, Scaramanga, from The Man with the Golden Gun – Lee’s imposing 6’5” frame, piercing eyes and mesmerising voice made him one of cinema’s most enduring and iconic screen villains.
And, during a remarkable career that spanned 57 years and more than 200 movies, he even found time to accidentally position himself at centre of the Hollywood universe.
Lee was a high-performer in the Centre of the Hollywood Universe chart, a variation of Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, the quirky parlour game that was all the rage amongst movie geeks in the 1990s. Inspired by the ‘six degrees of separation’ concept, the game’s purpose was to connect via film roles any given actor or actress with Kevin Bacon in six moves or less.
For example, only two films separate Kevin Bacon from Laurel & Hardy:
The Centre of the Hollywood Universe chart took this concept one step further by using a computer algorithm called The Oracle of Bacon to rank a movie star’s connectivity at any given time. At one stage, Lee was the chart’s highest ranking living actor. Given the fact his acting career spanned seven decades, over 200 films and three of the most popular movie franchises of all time – Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and Bond – it’s hardly surprising.
Returning to the earlier example, only one film stood between Christopher Lee and Laurel & Hardy:
In fact, despite his reputation as one of history’s greatest movie villains, Lee was rarely more than one film away from a slapstick comedy A-lister. Vaudeville legends The Marx Brothers are a case in point:
Or The Three Stooges:
In fact, let’s go all the way back to Charlie Chaplin:
There are similar connections between Christopher Lee’s filmography and many of the greats of British comedy. Take Morecambe and Wise, for instance:
Or Tommy Cooper:
Or even Benny Hill:
At the epicentre of this Christopher Lee comedy conundrum is a delightfully odd film called The Magic Christian (1969). It stars Peter Sellers as Guy Grand, an eccentric aristocrat who adopts a young, homeless Ringo Starr on a whim, then proceeds to educate him in the ways of the world through a series of increasingly outrageous pranks.
The comedy is broad and the satire far from subtle, but what makes it interesting in this context is that it featured appearances from Spike Milligan, John Cleese, Graham Chapman and Hattie Jacques. And there, in the midst of this weird collision between Goons, Beatles, Pythons and the Carry On team, we find Christopher Lee – on board a luxury cruise liner, terrorising the upper echelons of society in the somewhat typecast role of ‘Ship’s Vampire’.
Given his close proximity to so many comedy greats throughout his filmography, it seems apt that Lee was once offered the chance to play a truly iconic comedy role. He later admitted that turning down the part of Dr Rumack in the movie Airplane! was one of the biggest regrets of his career. That role went to Leslie Nielsen, of course, and the chief reason why he was so damn funny in that damn funny film was because – like the rest of the actors in Airplane! – he was cast against type. Up until then, Nielsen was best known for strait-laced dramas, but Airplane! transformed his career, turning him into a late-blooming comedy star.
Could the same thing have happened to an erstwhile Prince of Darkness?
It’s a tantalising thought: if things had worked out differently, Christopher Lee – history’s greatest screen villain – might now be remembered for another infamous character whose name begins with a ‘D’.
Lieutenant Frank Drebin of Police Squad.
Work-Based Comedy at Amazon
Bestseller No. 2 Adaptation
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Nancy Lenehan, Nicolas Cage, Tilda Swinton (Actors)
- Spike Jonze (Director) - Ed Saxon (Producer)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
Bestseller No. 3 Vampire's Fall: Origins RPG
- Massive open world
- Immersive stories and dialogue choices
- Tactical combat
- Fully customizable characters
- Skills and abilities to shape your character
Bestseller No. 4 Project Hail Mary: A Novel
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Weir, Andy (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 482 Pages - 05/04/2021 (Publication Date) - Ballantine Books (Publisher)
SaleBestseller No. 7 NoCry Professional Knee Pads with Heavy Duty Foam Padding and Comfortable Gel Cushion, Strong Double Straps and Adjustable Easy-Fix Clips
- PREMIUM PROTECTION DESIGNED FOR YOUR COMFORT AND SAFETY. The soft gel core and durable EVA foam padding cushion even the more sensitive knees. The heavy-duty thick poly shield protects against cuts or scrapes on any terrain.
- ADJUSTABLE STRAPS FOR A FIRM, SECURE AND COMFORTABLE FIT. Forget about slipping, sliding knee pads. The flexible neoprene straps lock your pads in place. The ergonomic design hugs your knee for a superior fit. The quick release slip buckle clips make putting on and taking off your pads fast and easy.
- MADE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEN AND WOMEN. These multi-purpose pads are ideal for working on concrete, linoleum and hardwood floors, construction work, flooring and carpet installations, welding, stocking shelves, tiling the roof, plumbing, remodelling, gardening, cleaning, mechanic work, crawling under the house with your installation tools to fix a wiring problem and more.
- BUILT TOUGH TO WITHSTAND HEAVY USE. Forget sweaty knees: the 600D polyester mesh breathes for all-day comfort. And the heavy-weight nylon thread ensures long-lasting durability. Just add these pads to your safety equipment tool box so you’re never caught without protection.
- UPGRADED METAL RIVETS. Our new rivets took care of the “rivets popping off” problem with the previous model. We updated the design so that they stay in place. However, if you have any issues with the rivets, contact us and we’ll immediately send a replacement unit for free. (No return required.)
Bestseller No. 10 Daystar
- Beautiful HD streaming
- Pick up where you left off with the Continue Watching feature
- For existing subscribers, you can simply sign in to your account to get access. No need to resubscribe.
- English (Publication Language)
Last update on 2021-08-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API